Saturday, August 1, 2015

Top of the List

Do you like lists? I'm a list-maker, so when I see a new list of something that interests me, I usually read through it.


Thia week, I found Chile on two lists. The first was a Thrillist article called "12 of the Most Unbelievably Cheap Paradises on Earth."


I wasn't expecting to find a Chilean city on the list. I was simply scrolling along, reading about Bulgaria, Panama, Cambodia, and others when I discovered that Nº. 12 was Las Trancas, Chile.

I have to confess that I've never been there, don't really know exactly where Las Trancas is. If you enjoy hiking, skiing, and snowboarding, you might want to check out Thrillist's idea of "paradise," though I have my doubts that you could actually grow cacao there.

The other list was presented by Condé Nast Traveler, "The Most Colorful Cities in the World." My first thought? I live near one of them.

Valparaíso, Chile, easily belongs on this list with its wildly painted buildings and murals. I scrolled through the list, past our neighbors, Brazil and Argentina, shaking my head at some of Condé Nast's choices. Where is Valpo?

Once again, Valparaíso was the final city on the list. This colorfully painted coastal city, built on hills, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. No list of cities with colorful buildings or street art would be complete without her.

I like to think of Valpo the way poet Pablo Neruda did, "Valparaíso, how absurd you are...you haven't combed your hair, you've never had time to get dressed, life has always surprised you."

~~Sally Rose
Author of Penny Possible & A Million Sticky Kisses
iamsallyrose.com

No comments:

Post a Comment